Re: Connecting Net through Desktop

On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 15:30:50 +1030
Tim <ignored_mailbox yahoo com au> wrote:

> I think that reconfiguring /etc/sysctl.conf to change this entry:
>
>   net.ipv4.ip_forward = 0
>
> To equal "1" is all that you'd need to do to make a permanent change,
> to use that machine as a gateway.  You might have to play with
> firewall rules, too.

You mean, if I do that in the Desktop system, I would not need anything
else than showing the Desktop ip in the Laptop as the gateway in
ifconfig, and do nothing else? It would be that easy? Or, I would need
some additional packages? Please don't mind that I am asking it. I just
want to know it beforehand before trying it. Playing with firewall
rules would not be easy for me, I know less than nothing about them.
But, if I disable the firewall in the laptop (because the desktop
firewall is already there) would it not work?

--
das
http://ddts.randomink.org/