Fedora 8 On Dell Latitude D420 Over USB

I succeeded in installing Fedora 8 to a Dell Latitude D420 laptop. I did the install to an external USB drive (in one of those 2.5" hard drive enclosures sold by CompUSA) and booted from that external drive. It works like a charm. I was extremely pleased to see kernel messages indicating wlan0 is being brought up. It failed of course because I don't broadcast my SSID and the connection is secure. I set it up manually. The network configuration wizard pretty stupidly sets the type to 'Master' for a wireless configuration. Changing it to 'Auto' and setting up the security stuff got the connection going. That's the good part -- my easiest wireless connection ever in Linux!

Bob Cochran
Greenbelt, Maryland, USA