# aplay -ILv
default:CARD=V8235
    VIA 8235, VIA 8235
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=V8235,DEV=0
Under normal user:
================
$ aplay
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function
snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat
returned error: No such device
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:3510:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
returned error: No such device
ALSA lib conf.c:3982:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such device
ALSA lib pcm.c:2145:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:546: audio open error: No such device

@Frank: How can I check/modify /etc/security/console.perms.d/50-default.perms ?

Thanks,

This looks to me like it might possibly be SELinux related. Alsa configuration looks great. On your desktop check if SETroubleshooter has a little yellow star in the upper right corner. Click on it to see if there are any denials for aplay. If there are, follow the instructions to eliminate them. I can't really help any further because I haven't got Fedora 8 inatalled yet, only rawhide and that is different. Very strange, as I have never had aplay unable to access the sound device as a user. Have you done any playing around with permissions or groups?

Hope someone else can help you.