Can't remove or change a directory

I have an fc7 box that I'm trying to remove a directory on. I don't
remember why I was playing with the directory permissions in the first
place, but I just want to get rid of it.

the directory is in /root and looks like this:
dr-xr-xr-x 1 root root 2048 2007-11-09 15:35 tmp

I can't do anything with it. Any file change I try to make, chmod, rm,
mv, etc I get this error like:
chmod: changing permissions of `tmp': Read-only file system

How can I get rid of this directory? I've been googling in circles and
can't find a solution.

Thanks,
James