qla2310 hba at boot time

So, I have an F7 system w/ a QLA2310 HBA. Everything works OK, when done by hand.

But when I reboot, the kernel module is not getting loaded correctly, the firmware not loaded, then the md not assembled and not mounted.

So I unload the module, reload the module (which loads the firmware), assemble the md0, and mount by hand and it works.

Questions:
 Why is the module load at boot time not loading the firmware?
 Where is that module load done in the startup sequence?
 How do I approach resolution correctly, avoiding hacking the startup?

TIA
bob