Frequency scaling not working

Hi, I have a santa rosa based laptop ( Fujitsu T4220 convertible ) with at 2GHz processor. In Fedora 8 (and the latest Ubuntu, Mandriva, and Suse distros) the processor is permanently stuck at 800MHz. Trying to manually change the frequency and governor using cpufreq-selector and echoing values in /sys does nothing.

An interesting thing that I noticed is that the frequency scaling does work for a few minutes after the laptop wakes from sleep, and then goes back to not working.

I've run out of things to try and I can't figure out if it is a bug or something I am doing wrong.
Has anyone encountered this or have any ideas?

Thanks,
Ryan