Subpixel Hinting in KDE?

Hello everyone,

I just switched from SUSE to Fedora 8 and I'm configuring/tweaking it to my
taste. I'm using an LCD monitor so I want to activate subpixel-hinting on my
system (currently using KDE) but the settings for it are disabled (due to
patent issues I guess).

Could someone please point me to the right direction how to enable it? Is it
just a matter of grabbing the freetype source rpm and rebuild it with the
subpixel-hinting option?

Thanks!
Jorge