Re: Dual layer dvd burning

Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
John Summerfield wrote:
Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
Tony Nelson wrote:
At 6:26 PM -0500 11/19/07, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
While the drives are capable of holding 8GB of data, the filesystem is
*still* not capable of holding a file >= 2GB.  This is usually not a
problem when writing video onto these drives as the VOB filesize is <
2GB anyways.  When using them to write backups of large files, games
must be played to get the data to fit.
Why use a filesystem?  I just put a tar archive directly on the media.
Growisofs doesn't care what file you burn.
Uh, yes, it does.  It creates an ISO fs containing the file(s) you want
burnt, and the ISO fs is where the 2GB filesize limit is.
It doesn't insist on it, see the man page:
       To use growisofs to write a pre-mastered ISO-image to a DVD:

            growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=image.iso

We're still talking apples and oranges here.  You keep talking about
writing ISO filesystems that are already built.  I keep talking about

Now you're misunderstanding plain English!

That example is from the man page. The fact it contains a prebuilt ISO filesystem is immaterial, it's a file and growisofs is just writing a file to the DVD, doing no processing and not (AFAIK) verifying it's an ISO image.

If that does not work (and I think that improbable), try a DVD-capable cdrecord.

The "=" is important. Without it, I would expect growisofs to wrap the file into an isofs.

--

Cheers
John

-- spambait