Re: Filesystems Not Mounting

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-20 at 21:16 -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>> I can not find where it is specifically stated, but it is implied in
>> the -a and -F options that the /etc/fstab is processed from the top
>> down, and I can remember reading it somewhere. So if you try to
>> mount /usr/tomcat before /usr you are going to run into problems.
>> You will either have a problem of the mount point missing, or
>> running into problems of mounting a file system over the mount
>> point. I know you can hide an existing directory tree, but I have
>> never tested what happens if you are hiding mount points. (Does it
>> generate an error with mounting /usr, or does /usr/tomcat become
>> inaccessible?)
>>
> I would be amazed that you could mount /usr/tomcat before /usr in the
> fstab and then be able to see /usr/tomcat. I would also be interested if
> you can see /usr/tomcat when you boot.

You could mount /usr/tomcat before /usr if there was a /usr/tomcat
directory as part of the root file system. What I don't know is what
would happen if you them try to mount /usr. As I can not see any
valid reason to do it, I have never tested it. What I suspect would
 happen if that you would no longer be able to access anything that
was on /usr/tomcat, but you might get an error message when trying
to mount /usr instead.

The only use I can see for doing it is if you want to open some
files on  /usr/tomcat, and then hide the /mnt/tomcat file system. It
would be one way to hide a rootkit, or backdoor code.

Mikkel