Blacklisting a HARDWARE device?

Okay, here's the situation; after fiddling and fiddling and fiddling with this stupid wireless network card in this laptop (AR5007EG), I went out and bought a PCMCIA card to replace it (AR5212). The problem I'm currently having is that since both hardware devices have Atheros chipsets, they both want to claim the ath5k/madwifi driver (depending on which I try to use). Is there any way short of ripping out the hardware I can tell Fedora to ignore the former completely, and act as if it wasn't even plugged in at all, so I can get the driver to work with the latter? At this point, the former is sending goofy error messages which the system seems to be confusing with the messages sent by the latter, causing all sorts of problems...

Oh, and as for the NetworkManager thing I mentioned the other day; nm-applet does not allow one to state what the encryption protocol is for WPA-PSK, which leads to problems if you're not using TKIP (and I'm not). knetworkmanager allows this.