Re: Fonts (Firefox/Windows & Firefox/Linux)

On Fri, 23 Nov 2007 20:13:55 -0500
Tom Horsley <tom horsley att net> wrote:

> > Here are some screenshots of the same page in Windows (with
> > Cleartype enabled) and Linux.
>
> From what I understand (always a good chance I'm wrong :-)
> cleartype is a completely different technology than any of
> the other font rendering systems out there, so it may be
> impossible to always get things to look as good as windows

On the other hand, when I look at the codinghorror web page
in firefox, my screen looks a lot more like the windows
screenshot than the linux one :-).

One good thing to try: Make a brand new, never before logged
in user on your system, and login as the new user. That will
give you a user with all default settings to check out. I
often find that weird things are busted down inside .gnome
or .gconf directories if I try to completely restore my
home directory after an upgrade.