Re: stopping mail

On Fri, 2007-11-23 at 15:20 +0000, tony chamberlain lemko com wrote:
> I am wondering whether someone knows how to cancel mail that is queued
> on a machine, so it doesn't all get sent out.  I do have root access.

Brutal approach:  Look in /var/mqueue/  In there, is mail waiting to be
sent, it's in two parts (two files) per message.  One file is the
headers, the other is the message.  The filenames have a few different
characters to distinguish which part is which, at the start of the
filename, and a long string of random characters common to each message,
to indicate which two files go together for one message.  Delete the two
of them.  I'd stop sendmail, first, so you don't have a fight with it.

--
[tim bigblack ~]$ uname -ipr
2.6.23.1-10.fc7 i686 i386

I read messages from the public lists.