Re: "apt" to eventaully replace "rpm"?

John Summerfield wrote:
Robert P. J. Day wrote:
  a book i'm reading contains the sentence:

"It remains to be seen whether Apt will become the preferred tool for
package management for RPM users."

  i was unaware that that was even a possibility.  is it?

rday

I would not think so. the Debian package that is equivalent to rpm is dpkg. Like rpm it can install stuff, whinge about missing deps and so on.

The apt suite wraps it, as the yum suite wraps rpm.
apt-get fixes the deps that dpkg complains about, downloads stuff, installs it, downloads source and wraps the build process.

Not now I think. I got 88 updates to my new Ubuntu system which works much faster than yum, and it seems to have no problems yet. I ran into my old problem because I hate vi, I wanted to change a file and typed $ joe fstab and it didn't do that but a panel showed up saying if you want use joe do this: sudo atp-get install joe. I did this and apt went to work and in seconds I had a joe editor installed. Nice.

--

	Karl F. Larsen, AKA K5DI
	Linux User