yum search cornucopia

IN some cases, e.g. yum search ncl and yum search qt, yum search
provides many junk hits. I typically in this case try to grep the
output or put on an arch specifier, is there a more intelligent way of
telling yum more precisely what I am looking for and what to exclude?

Actually, trying my own example, arch does not even work:

$ yum search qt.i386
Setting up repositories
No Matches found

I got the above result right after doing yum search ' qt ' returned
another mountain of mostly useless junk, but with qt.i386 at the very
tail.

Thanks,
Dave