gnome login doesn't read sysconfig settings

Hi,

after updating to F8 I was quite happy how smooth the new version
works compared to the trouble F7 gave me in the beginning.
But know I'm facing an odd problem: the settings in
/etc/sysconfig/i18n are not used in the terminal or applications after
logging into gnome.
When I log in in text mode or use 'su -' the settings are used.
Can anyone tell me what's going wrong here?

TIA
Chris