hdparm shows poor performance on cached reads for PATA drive

Hi all,

I have an older laptop (HP ze4400 series) with a PATA hard drive.
When I check hdparm -T /dev/sda in Fedora 7 or 8, it shows me performance of ~180MB/sec

When I use a boot CD (gparted/clonezilla) to check the speed (by the way, it uses the old style /dev/hdc, instead) - it tells me the performance is upward of 400MB/sec

The buffered speed seems about the same in either case at ~30MB/sec. (I've tried enabling/disabling various settings via hdparm, while in boot CD mode)

Why is this happening and is there a way to fix it (without reverting to /dev/hdc)?

Thanks!