Re: FC6->FC8 Migration Path

Tod wrote:
Is there one, other than doing a clean install? I'd prefer a straight upgrade if I could get away with it. Any reference docs anyone could point me to?

You *can* do the upgrade, but it invariably leaves some cruft in files behind, possibly a few libraries which you shouldn't use, etc. Do backup everything before starting!

If you have /home and /usr/local in separate filesystems you can preserve them over reinstall.

If you were good about using RCS (or similar) whenever you changed a config file, you can just save the /etc/RCS directory and /root somewhere (hopefully they're small).

A new install is faster (other than backup time) and gives a cleaner result. An upgrade may be less work. If you do the upgrade, *do* stop cron from running anything in the middle!!

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen tmr com>