Re: file splitter and merger??

* Frank Cox (theatre sasktel net) wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 20:19:23 -0600
> Jeff Krebs <jkrebs tconl com> wrote:
>
> > perhaps it was mentioned already, but "rar" (from FreshRPMs) compresses
> > AND splits files into multiple parts.
>
> I thought rar was a commercial "send in the cash" program, and only unrar (the
> de-compressor) was provided free of charge.
>
> Has that changed?

The linux version is shareware according the the license. I think
the DOS/CLI Windows version is as well. 40 day trial.

I'll see where I'm at on my 40 days...

Here's a link to split files using "tar"; originally used for backing to
multiple tapes:

http://www.nuxified.org/blog/splitting_large_files_or_directories_into_small_tar_files

Jeff Krebs