Re: Copying one's home directory to an external hard disk

Frank Cox wrote:
On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 01:50:15 +0000
Paul Smith <phhs80 gmail com> wrote:

What is the best way of copying *entirely* one's home directory to an
external hard disk?

tar

I will vote against tar.

I used it for a backup some time ago and just this past weekend, I had to recover 4 files. Due to the size of the tar file, it took ages. I am talking hours.

With the cost of drives today, I would just use cp -a. I have not used rsync so I cannot comment on that.

--
Robin Laing