Re: Fedora and Ubuntu

On Fri, 2007-11-30 at 08:49 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> Indeed so.  Also it is surely the case the for the majority of updates on a day
> to day basis the largest fraction of the time needed to complete the updates is
> likely to the downloading the update rpms.
>
> Therefore making sure the downloads come from a fast mirror is the most important
> factor in getting the overall elapsed time to be as short as possible.
>
> Once the rpms are all in the cache area then the update install is usually quite
> quick.

And, of course, there's yum-presto which downloads the *difference*
between the new updates and what's on your system, giving you a saving
of, on average, roughly 80%.

Until the official Fedora repositories are presto-enabled, you have to
make some changes to your .repo files.  See
http://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/presto for more information.

Jonathan

Full disclosure: I am the yum-presto maintainer