[Rhm-users] RHM performance

Alan Conway aconway at redhat.com
Tue Dec 11 13:39:02 UTC 2007

Gordon Sim wrote:
> Andy Grove wrote:
>> The client that starts with a single thread and then adds a new thread
>> every 5 seconds. Each thread continuously publishes a fixed size
>> message to one of 50 topics at random. Throughput is measured on the
>> client for each 5 second duration (the cost of setting up each thread
>> and connecting to JMS is excluded from the throughput measurement).
>
> I suspect a large part of the difference between the measurements for
> the two systems may be attributable to the fact that publish is
> synchronous for durable messages in 0-10 (the next message is not sent
> until the broker acknowledges the previous one) whereas in 0-8 there is
> no confirmation of the publication (the fact that send() returns does
> not necessarily imply that the broker has even received it, let alone
> stored it).

 From my reading of Andy's mail, I thought he was comparing the Qpid
trunk Java broker with RHM (essentially the Qpid trunk C++ broker) using
the same Java client for both. In that case both tests are using 0-10.

Andy can you confirm or deny my understanding?

I also suspect that different ack behavior or something of that sort is
likely to be the problem - something that got implemented/interpreted
differently in the two brokers and shows up in this test case
particularly for some reason.

Cheers,
Alan.