[rhn-users] gnome-system-monitor Continuously Cycles Hard Drive

Todd Warner taw at redhat.com
Fri Apr 30 14:58:35 UTC 2004

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Mike Duffy wrote:

> I installed Linux about eight months ago and it has always "bugged" me that some process hits my
> hard drive about every two to three seconds (I can here the hard drive cycle).
>
> I thought this was some basic flaw in the operating system; however, after doing some checking,
> the "Active Processes" on the "System Monitor" shows that the culprit is the
> "gnome-system-monitor".
>
> I am using one of the latest builds of RedHat 9.0.
>
> Other than switching to KDE does anyone know how to stop this continuous cycling?  It's like a
> very annoying dripping faucet!
>
> Mike

Also... if you are using ext3 (and most likely you are) the filesystem
gets poked about every 5 seconds as part of the journalling bookkeeping.

Disclaimor: I am delving in to some dusty bookshelves in my brain, but
I think I am right about this.

--
 /odd Warner                                    <taw@{redhat,pobox}.com>