[rhn-users] RHEL 3 (WS) Console Redirection

George Allen Jr george_allenjr at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 25 16:59:37 UTC 2004

ATTENTION....RHEL newbie.....

Have a SBC (VME CPU:Intel) w/ RHEL 3 (WS) connected via serial cable to a
Win XP box. Ultimately, I'd like to be able to start-up/login/execute
commands/shutdown the SBC using the serial connection. Using front panel
access is NOT an option when this SBC is in its final application.

After having set the correct Remote Access selections (e.g. port #, baud,
etc..) in the BIOS of the SBC, I am using Hyperterm on the XP box (with the
same settings) to view the POST of the SBC.

I have edited grub.conf to add the "serial --unit=x --speed=x ...." line and
the "terminal --timeout=xx serial console..." lines. I also appened each
kernel line entry in the same file with "console=/dev/ttySx". Lastly, I
edited the /etc/securetty file to ensure the com ports ttyS[0-1] are listed.
I am then able to view, on both the monitor connected to the SBC as well as
the XP box, the RHEL startup messages.

However, the last entry within the Hyperterm display on the XP monitor is
the Audit start-up [OK]and then a PID is assigned to some process ( ?!?!),
leaving the Hyperterm display in what appears to be limbo. On the monitor of
the SBC, the default blue splashscreen with the "welcome to xxx" messgae and
login dialog box.

A shutdown of the SBC will enable be to see the shutdown messages on both
monitors, so it would seem that the serial connection remains open and
active, but a setting(s) within RHEL needs to be added/edited such that I
can USE the OS remotely via serial.

Any suggestions? Please be specific, file locations, syntax?
Remember, newbie here......

Thanks all !