[rhn-users] Intel or AMD

Eric Eisenhart eric.eisenhart at sonoma.edu
Thu Dec 16 18:28:42 UTC 2004

Dominique Demore wrote:
> We are currently in the process of selecting 2 new servers to run new Student Information System. Both systems will be
> running version 3 (AS). One server will be the Oracle 9i database and the other the Oracle Application Server.
> My questions is: Since I have the chance of selecting either an Intel Xeon processor or AMD Optron, which should I
> select. What about the Itaniums?
>
> Beside the 64 bit processing of the Optron, are there any other advantages? Any disadvantages?
>
> Any thoughts or comments?

Single CPU?  Dual CPU?  Quad CPU?

Opteron's use a Non-Uniform Memory Architecture (NUMA).  Specifically,
each CPU has its own connection to its own bank of RAM.  Memory is
accessed via a different path than I/O.  Then there's connections
between the CPUs in case one CPU needs to access RAM or I/O hooked up to
the other processor.  Xeons and Itaniums have a Front Side Bus that all
access to all I/O and memory goes through, leaving you with a single
bottleneck.

So, it depends on the exact Opteron motherboard design that you're
talking about, but with a dual or quad CPU system, an Opteron will make
a much better database server than a Xeon or an Itanium (assuming the
motherboard is designed right.)  I've looked at the design specs for
Sun's Opteron servers and HP's Opteron servers, and both are solid
designs that put RAM in the right places.  In both cases, on the
dual-opteron design all I/O is off of one CPU (with ram on both) and on
the system that can handle more than 2 CPUs, I/O is spread between 2 of
the CPUs.  (and a bank of RAM on every CPU, of course)  I haven't
checked if they've updated, but about a year ago IBM's Opteron systems
looked kind of sub-par (no on-board RAID); designed for compute clusters
not database servers.  I have no idea about other vendors; quality can
vary widely.  There are definitely some Opteron boards out there that
put all the RAM and I/O on one CPU, which makes the system about as slow
  as if it had a front-side bus.

Check for support from Oracle.  An Opteron can still make a very speedy
server for running 32-bit applications, but you're best off if the
specific things you're running actually support the "x86_64/AMD64/ia32e"
64-bit instructions.

Also, go read this article, and make sure to look at the diagrams:
http://www.samag.com/documents/s=9408/sam0411b/0411b.htm
--
Eric Eisenhart <eric.eisenhart at sonoma.edu>
Linux/Unix Systems Administrator