[rhn-users] sound card didn't work properly

user Serge.Coche at free.fr
Thu Dec 23 17:22:05 UTC 2004

Le jeu 23/12/2004 à 05:35, ahmed zameer a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I installed RHE LAS 3.0 ..........
>
> I am having problem in inbuilt sound card......
> for solution I done a lot so far and i am a newbie to
> linux.... this process had been done so far...look
> once
>
> I am having Compaq branded system.... with "INBUILT
> SOUND CARD" named "Intel Corp.|82801DB (ICH4) AC'97
> Audio Controller" and it is having default driver
> "i810_audio"...Infact my sound card details are as
> follows from etc/sysconfig/hwconf.............
>
> class: AUDIO
> bus: PCI
> detached: 0
> driver: i810_audio
> desc: "Intel Corp.|82801DB (ICH4) AC'97 Audio
> Controller"
> vendorId: 8086
> deviceId: 24c5
> subVendorId: 13f6
> subDeviceId: 0300
> pciType: 1
> pcibus: 0
> pcidev: 1f
> pcifn: 5
>
> My Trails: I select "soundcard Detection" option from
> system settings....here i found an option "play test
> sound"... then i click on play test sound.....after
> sometime i got a message like did u heard any sound
> .... then i clicked on No option....thereafter i found
> this error message " Automatic detection of the sound
> card did not work " audio will not be available on the
> system"...
>
> then I downloaded ALSA
> (alsa-drivers,alsa-lib,alsa-utilities,alsa-tools,etc..)
> named
> i)   alsa-drivers.1.0.7rc2.tar.bz2
> ii)  alsa-lib.1.0.7rc2.tar.bz2
> iii) alsa-utils.1.0.7rc2.tar.bz2
> iv)  alsa-tools.1.0.7rc2.tar.bz2
>
> and i compile them with tar xvjf option
> then i installed all of them
>
> no change in the system.... still i didn't found any
> sound... what to do...?
>
> My Question : Is my driver /inbuilt soundcard didn't
> support LAS 3.0 ?
> ( or)
> Is any other process.......I want complete notes how
> to configure sound card....
>
> any help would be appreciate.......
>
> thanx in advance...
> zameer ahmed syed...
>
> email : zameer_india at yahoo.com

1) Soundcard detection : normal, sndconfig can't configure the ICH
   inbuilts for standards kernels : you need alsa.

2) It's works with alsa manually installed : but you see in the READMEs
   that before alsa to install, you must to modify any sound options in
   your kernel and to recompile it.

3) Another solution, if you have big needs in sound domain, is to
   download and install the planetccrma features :
   - adapted kernel for jack and alsa ;
   - alsa tools ;
   - all sound applications.

                                   Good luck,