[rhn-users] RHDB Problem

Craig Aumann caumann at ualberta.ca
Fri Dec 24 00:59:23 UTC 2004

I'm running RHEL WS3.  A few days ago I did an update which updated the
RH-Database packages. Bottom line is I'm now having problems with my
RHDB.

I'm running a catalog version of 7.3, and rh-postgresql-7.3.8-2
rh-postgresql-jdbc-7.3.8-2.

If I boot up the Control Center, the message displayed is that the
engine is a "Bad Engine".  If I try to restart the engine, this message
persists.

A more detailed view indicates:
Unix Socket: /temp/.s.PGSQL.5432Error communicating with pg_ctl script:
java.lang.NullPointerException

I tried upgrading my java installation:

[caumann at landscape caumann]$ which java
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_01/bin/java

[caumann at landscape caumann]$ echo $JAVA_HOME
/usr/java/jre1.5.0_01

[caumann at landscape caumann]$ echo $CLASSPATH
/usr/share/java/rh-postgresql3.jar

but I still have this problem.

Any suggestions on what to do here are appreciated.  The engine was
working fine before I ran up2date.

Cheers!
Craig