[rhn-users] Up2date fix

Mathai, Mathew mathai at vt.edu
Mon Dec 27 22:56:44 UTC 2004

Problem:
Up2date broke on Wednesday Dec 22,2004 after I updated my system using
Red Hat's one-click (automatic) update feature. Running up2date on the
command line would result in an error "Could not determine which version
of Red Hat Linux you are running" (raised by
/usr/share/rhn/up2date_client/up2dateUtils.py). The script asks you to
run "rpm --rebuilddb" to try and fix the problem. Unfortunately, that
didn't work for me (neither did uninstalling and reinstalling up2date).

Fix:
Installed the appropriate redhat-release package (which in my case it
was redhat-release-3WS-7.4.i386.rpm).

Question for the redhat folks:
If one of the up2date scripts relies on redhat-release for correct
functioning, shouldn't it be listed as a dependency for up2date?

-Mathew
---
Mathew Mathai
Virginia Tech