[rhn-users] Kernel Support for USB

Kenneth Sarno kmsarno at verizon.net
Tue Dec 28 18:42:36 UTC 2004

> > I have been using Redhat WS 3 since May of this year and have not been
> > able to get any of my USB devices to work properly.  Any suggestions.
> > What about 2.6 kernel?  I am currently using 2.4.27.1 (latest version)
> > but with no luck for my USB applications.  Please advise...

I'm an ignorant newbie so don't pay too much attention to me, but about six
months ago I got a USB scanner to work by installing with insmod a few
kernel modules that were already present in the kernel's /lib/modules
directory. I guess that the stock kernel as distributed by Red Hat doesn't
have USB support enabled for some reason (????), but the required
installable modules for that support are supplied so you can enable it
yourself without having to rebuild or recompile anything.

I didn't write down and don't remember the modules I installed, but one of
them was scanner.o, one was uhci or ohci, and I believe there was a third.
I can't just do an lsmod for you, because that was several kernels ago and
I have since removed USB scanner support. There's a USB how-to somewhere on
the net that gives the specifics.

Sorry for the lack of info but I think it's the right general direction.

--Ken S.