[rhn-users] RE: USB mount

caumann caumann at ualberta.ca
Wed Dec 29 17:27:05 UTC 2004

As an earlier poster noted, check your logs to see where the USB drive is
being mounted when you plug it into your computer.

What I did is added a line to the /etc/fstab:

/dev/sdb1     /mnt/usb     auto   noauto,user,noatime 0 0

/dev/sdb1 may be /dev/sd?? for your computer - need to check your logs.
Of course, you need to create the directory /mnt/usb as well.

Then, when you plug your usb drive in, right-click on your desktop, scroll
down to disks.  You should see Floppy, CD-Rom, and USB.  Click Usb and you're
off to the races.

Fedora Core 3 is much easier - it autodetects the usb drive as soon as it is
plugged in and puts a foofy little icon on your desktop.

to get any of my USB devices to work properly.  Any suggestions.  What about
2.6 kernel?  I am currently using 2.4.27.1 (latest version) but with no luck
for my USB applications.  Please advise...