[rhn-users] Redhat 7.3 update agent hangs after first update

No Alternative noalternative at operamail.com
Thu Dec 30 11:33:17 UTC 2004

I know I am using an unsupported older version of redhat.  I was scared the newer ones would be to much for my old AMD k6 -2.  I have upgraded the hardrive and the memory but it is still and older computer.  OEM Compaq Win 98 quit out an I needed something.  Anyway, the disks come from a "Redhat 7.3 for Dummies" book, so you know where I am at on the linux learning curve.

Anyway, I installed it and it recognized all my important hardware just fine.  I also updated the ssh certificates for Redhat update agent so that isn't the problem.  It always hangs at 2% when installing the update for xfree86.   It even does this when I do it from the command line with up2date.  Can anyone help?

Also, I wasn't able to create an iptables firewall using the instructions provided in the Redhat for dummies book.  I think it is a different version of iptables maybe.  This book appears to be a newer edition of a book that had been written for even older versions of red hat, so I figure I am being given the instructions for the wrong iptables.