[rhn-users] stuck in a GUI Loop

El Gato Feo dave_almaraz at pacbell.net
Thu Feb 19 04:11:49 UTC 2004

I hope you help.
I recently installed RH9. All went well and she worked just fine for a week or so. Then I monkied with the KDE control manager and set it up so the 'logon' would be automatic.
Well I shut off the machine and Now when she loads up I get stuck in a GUI loop.
She loads fine but when she gets to the XSERVER call I get a garbled GUI for a brief second and then she returns to a localhost logon; but she is there for only the smallest of seconds and so I am unable to force an xterm or root logon. She just spins looping again and again.
My question is:
How do I get out of the loop? and to a "cmd prompt'
How do I fix this short of re-installing RH9. of course the reinstall may be my quickest fix.
But any tips would help here.

--EL Gato Feo