[rhn-users] Automating the RHN autoupdate setting?

Rich Graves rcgraves at brandeis.edu
Wed Feb 25 14:14:12 UTC 2004

I'd like to turn on the "Automatic application of relevant errata" checkbox
for a bunch of fresh installs.

I see that https://rhn.redhat.com/network/systems/ssm/misc/index.pxt lets
you change this pref on a group of systems, but what about setting it by
default for any future member of a group?

I know we could just have a cron job run up2date -u, but that's silly.

I'm thinking ideally it would be scoped to a group or activation key, i.e.,
we would publish several activation keys internally and let users choose
how they want their system updated.

Odd design choices... you need local root on the system to override the
default kernel*; skip list, but you need a RHN logon (which rhnreg_ks
customers will not have) to do autoupdate. If anything, I'd expect the
reverse.