[rhn-users] File size limit

Jonathan Fischer jfischer at csusm.edu
Fri Jul 2 17:39:39 UTC 2004

On two different servers, one running Red Hat AS 2.1, and the other ES
2.1, I'm running into a file size limit of 2 gigabytes.  On ES 2.1, it's
being hit by apache (the out of the box RPM from Red Hat) writing to
it's access_log file; once the 2 gig boundary is hit, we start seeing a
lot "File size limit exceeded", or something similar to that in the
error_logs.  On the AS 2.1 server, a fortran program (compiled with the
Intel fortran compiler) one of our professors is trying to run crashes
when one of it's working files hits 2 gigs, with the same error message.

I've looked around, and all the sources I can find say that there was a
limit in the past, but it shouldn't be around any longer with relatively
up to date kernels + glibc.  Anyone know why I might be running into
this?

Jonathan Fischer

Operating Systems Analyst - CSU San Marcos

jfischer at csusm.edu