[rhn-users] eth0 & eth1 can't coexist?

csu4 at fedex.com csu4 at fedex.com
Fri Jul 2 08:36:10 UTC 2004

Hi Martin,

I have the exactly the same config as you mentioned but no
luck.

Just now I had another round testing and roughly found what's
wrong here. When I configure the second the second card, it
asked for the default gateway, since this card is connected
to a private network for backup purpose, the gateway if I
gave would route the traffic to nowhere than the particular
network. Somehow this setting overwrote the primary gateway
which is set for the main card. I don't know why. I set this
second card's default gateway to null and that solved the
issue for the main connection. Now the first card works fine,
and the second card could be reached from another machine in
the private network but itself can't go out since the gateway
is missing.

So my further question here are:
1. Why is that so?
2. How could I set the gateway separately without intervening
   with each other?

Thx & Rgds,

SCHYU

                    Alejandro Martin
                    <alex at volarhoy.com       To:     Red Hat Network Users List
                    >                         <rhn-users at redhat.com>
                    Sent by:                 cc:
                    rhn-users-bounces@       Subject:     Re: [rhn-users] eth0 & eth1 can't coexist?
                    redhat.com

                    2004-07-02 15:42
                    Please respond to
                    alex; Please
                    respond to Red Hat
                    Network Users List

           Yes it can coexist.
           We have the same configuration and both working. In
/etc/modules.conf
be sure that exist:
           alias eth0 bcm5700
           alias eth1 e1000

           bcm5700 is primary ethernet card,
           and check /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and
ifcfg-eth1.
           Our files are like this:

ifcfg-eth0

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=x.x.x.x
NETMASK=x.x.x.x
GATEWAY=x.x.x.x

ifcfg-eth1

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=x.x.x.x
NETMASK=x.x.x.x

           Our machine is HP dl580 and lspci output is:
0a:01.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82543GC Gigabit Ethernet
Controller (rev 02)
0a:02.0 Ethernet controller: BROADCOM Corporation NetXtreme BCM5701
Gigabit Ethernet (rev 15)

           Regards.

El vie, 02-07-2004 a las 09:22, csu4 at fedex.com escribi贸: