[rhn-users] File size limit

Donald Lambert Donald.Lambert at dal.ca
Mon Jul 5 10:53:53 UTC 2004

Hey,

I have found that AS 2.1 is still based a lot on the RedHat 7.*
distributions.

With that said I know a lot of times there was a 2 GB file size limit.
In AS 3, you can create files larger that 2 GB, but you cannot tar them
as it seems tar has that limit.

I have to agree with Corné though, a log file greater than say 25MB
is basically un useable in standard pratice.  For example, you could not
vi a 2 GB file.

So unless you are dumping the data in to a trend tracker system not
much point in having such a large file.  Use logrotate.

-- Donnie

--
         Donald Lambert                   Donald.Lambert at Dal.Ca
         Networks and Systems, UCIS       Dalhousie University