[rhn-users] rhn_register socket error

Aijaz Ahmed aijazz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 29 16:12:18 UTC 2004

Hello All,

I have an ia64 server machine with Red Hat Linux Advance Server 2.1
installed on it. I am running the kernel 2.4.18-e.12smp #1 SMP Thu Oct
17 15:13:01 EDT 2002 ia64.

I was having problems with my Graphics card as startx was not able to
configure properly. I am using an ATI RAGE XL card.

I was given an advive to update my machine using the redhat network by
Up2date. I tried to register using rhs_register version 2.7.9.
Everytime I ran this I get the error

"A socket error occured, host not found, attempt #1"
"A socket error occured, host not found, attempt #2"
"A socket error occured, host not found, attempt #3"
"A socket error occured, host not found, attempt #4"

I surfed around and found out that I am using old version of
rhs_register and I have to reach to
https://rhn.redhat.com/help/latest-up2date.pxt ... section Red Hat
Linux Advanced Server 2.1 for the Itanium Processor. I downloaded all
the files and have used rpm to install them on my machine.

I still get the same error. I am able to connect to the internet on
that machine. My machine resolves all other urls and I don't have a
clue that even after installing the latest RPMs I am still getting the
same error...

I will really appreciate if you can guide me on fixing this and
getting my machine updates with the latest for Red Hat Advance Server
2.1 for itanium processors.

Regards,
Aijaz Ahmed