[rhn-users] /usr/bin/top showing false values?

Deks deks at sbcglobal.net
Fri Mar 5 05:53:42 UTC 2004

reading the stuff on the url you gave, it looks like software developed for hyperthreading will benefit on it, am i right? say apache, sendmail and bind would they benefit on it?

the output of grep "ht" /proc/cpuinfo doesn't display "ht", does this mean i have to disable it since my chips doesn't support it?

sorry for the questions i'm just confused on these, i don't want to think that i'm using HT because its there without understanding the whole picture or thinking i'll enable  it since nothing will go wrong anyway? :)

Bret McMillan <bretm at redhat.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 04, 2004 at 05:07:51PM -0800, Deks wrote:

> My concern is how come it shows 4 cpu's and the memory used way the total. Does that mean when I go to production this machine will need more memory?

The reason you're seeing 4 cpus is that you probably have 2 P4 Xeon's
w/ HyperThreading. Each HT-enabled cpu shows up as 2 virtual cpus.

http://www.intel.com/technology/hyperthread/index.htm?iid=sr+hyper&

You can double check this by running:
grep "ht" /proc/cpuinfo

If it spits out your "flags: ... ht ...", you've got HT-enabled chips.

Your mileage may vary w/ HT. If you want to benchmark your box
sans-HT, I believe there is a 'noht' boot option.

As for the memory issue, I'm clueless... maybe another lurker can
educate me as well :)

--Bret