[rhn-users] RedHat Enterprise Linux 2.1 Sendmail RPMs

Stephen Agar stephen.agar at usm.edu
Thu Mar 18 15:14:37 UTC 2004

Hi,
We use Enterprise Linux 2.1, for our mail servers here. I realize that
the version packaged with 2.1 is a bit old (8.11.6) but it serves its
purpose. I am looking into providing SMTP Auth to our clients, but after
running a "sendmail -d0.1 -bv" to see the compiled in options, I notice
that "STARTTLS" is not compiled into this rpm. I realize that I can
rebuild this version with STARTTLS, or just upgrade to a newer version
of sendmail and compile it in. This seems to defeat the purpose of using
an OS like redhat enterprise linux, and paying for support. Then for
every update that was released, I would have to recompile sendmail
again. Would it be possible for redhat to recompile the package, and
stick the new rpm (with STARTTLS compiled in)  on the up2date servers,
so we can grab it with our next up2date run.

I wasn't sure which list to send this to, if I am in error here, please
let me know.

thanks,
Stephen

Stephen Agar, Systems Administrator II
University of Southern Mississippi, iTech
e-mail: stephen.agar at usm.edu