[rhn-users] RedHat ES 3.0 - kernel problem

Ted Marshall ted at rovingnetworks.com
Wed Mar 24 18:03:07 UTC 2004

As others have chimed in, it's the SMP kernel for two+ processors.

As for your application crash problem, you may have an application bug in
terms of synchronizing access to shared memory.  There are locking protocols
that work fine on a uniprocessor system but fail on an SMP system.  In fact,
you might have a sync bug that also manifests on a 1-processor system but
just crashes much more often with two (virtual) processors.  Proper shared
memory programming can be non-trivial and with two processors, you're more
likely to have two processes hitting the same structure at the same time.

****
> This e-mail and the information it contains may be privileged and/or
> confidential.  It is for the intended addressee(s) only.
> The unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail, or any
information it contains, is prohibited.
> If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete
the material from your computer.