[rhn-users] RedHat ES 3.0 - kernel problem

espen.ekeroth at om.com espen.ekeroth at om.com
Wed Mar 24 22:04:55 UTC 2004

Thanx for all the answers!

Do still wonder: Is there any other differences between the 2 kernels?

(Is there a reason for me to hunt down this problem, or should I be happy with
the normal kernel?)

Espen

=============
Espen Ekeroth
+ 47 69 21 55 81
=============
|+--------------------------+--------------------------------------------------|
||   Bret McMillan          |                                                  |
||   <bretm at redhat.com>     |           To:        Red Hat Network Users List  |
||                          |   <rhn-users at redhat.com>                         |
||   24.03.2004 16:57       |           cc:        (bcc: Espen                 |
||   Please respond to Red  |   Ekeroth/OMT/OMGROUP)                           |
||   Hat Network Users List |           Subject:        Re: [rhn-users] RedHat |
||                          |   ES 3.0 - kernel problem                        |
|+--------------------------+--------------------------------------------------|

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:27:26AM -0500, Bret McMillan wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 10:14:53AM +0100, espen.ekeroth at om.com wrote:
>
> > The RedHat ES 3.0 is shipped with 2 different kernels:
> >
> > 2.4.21-9.EL
> > 2.4.21-9.EL.smtp
> >
> > Our server is a Compaq DL360 with 1 CPU.
> >
> > Default the installation uses the smtp version of the kernel. For me it
> > looks like the kernel is faking 2 CPU's - at least "top" shows 2 CPU's.
>
> Probably a hyperthreaded cpu.
>
> > What is the difference between the smtp kernel and the "normal" kernel?
>
> That I don't know, another lurker might... :/

/me chuckles... that'll teach me to respond before my morning
caffiene.  You're probably talking about the SMP kernel which is used
when you have 2+ cpus.  Since w/ a hyperthreaded box you have at least
2 virtual cpus reported to the os, you can use the SMP kernel.

Your mileage may vary with it.  You can just boot into the
uniprocessor kernel or you can disable HT in your bios (usually) if
you want to test your machine out sans-HT.

--Bret

This e-mail and the information it contains may be privileged and/or
confidential.  It is for the intended addressee(s) only.
The unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail, or any information it contains, is prohibited.
If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.