[rhn-users] abnormal network disconnection - Detection

espen.ekeroth at om.com espen.ekeroth at om.com
Wed Mar 24 22:08:47 UTC 2004

I'm not a network guru, but are coding on a similar system. I would say there is
two possible ways to detect a crashed client:

a user created heartbeat
tcp_keepalive

We are using the heartbeat, but our product do not need to detect the crash as
early as yours. (we normally send heartbeats every 30 seconds, and allows to
miss 2 beats).

Espen

=============
Espen Ekeroth
+ 47 69 21 55 81
=============
|+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------|
||   suresh.thomas at wipro.co|                                                   |
||   m                     |           To:        rhn-users at redhat.com         |
||                         |           cc:        (bcc: Espen                  |
||   24.03.2004 16:51      |   Ekeroth/OMT/OMGROUP)                            |
||   Please respond to Red |           Subject:        [rhn-users] abnormal    |
||   Hat Network Users List|   network disconnection - Detection               |
||                         |                                                   |
|+-------------------------+---------------------------------------------------|

We are facing a problem in detecting abnormal network disconnection between
custom made tcp socket server and client

We have a tcp based socket server, which listens to a connection oriented tcp
clients on a particular port (configurable, but defaulted 5001).

We need to immediately (within a second) get notified when a client gets
disconnected due to client crashing or due to other network problems. We don't
prefer to make any system level tcp settings like tcp_keepalive, which will
affect other network services on the machine.

Any idea ?

rhn-users mailing list
rhn-users at redhat.com

This e-mail and the information it contains may be privileged and/or
confidential.  It is for the intended addressee(s) only.
The unauthorised use, disclosure or copying of this e-mail, or any information it contains, is prohibited.
If you are not an intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete the material from your computer.