[rhn-users] Invalid architecture OS combination?

avenier at venier.net avenier at venier.net
Tue May 4 17:59:10 UTC 2004

I have been tried to register for the Update channel several
times, but keep having problems with the automated system
identification refusing the system.

It is Red Hat Advanced Server 3.0 AS on Intel x86, a common
enough combination, I would have thought ...

The message given is:

"Invalid Architecture and OS release combination (3AS, i686-
redhat-linux).
Your system has been registered, but will not receive updates
because it is not subscribed to a channel."

Any advice?  Also, the kernel comes up as "unknown" on the
details tab...

uname -a returns:

Linux [hostname] 2.4.21-9.0.1.EL #1 Mon Feb 9 22:44:14 EST
2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

/proc/version shows:

Linux version 2.4.21-9.0.1.EL
(bhcompile at bugs.devel.redhat.com) (gcc version 3.2.3 20030502
(Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-26)) #1 Mon Feb 9 22:44:14 EST 2004

At telnet prompt, /etc/issue message shows:

Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 1)
Kernel 2.4.21-9.0.1.EL on an i686