[rhn-users] Re: RH9 to RHE3

Dan Wittenberg daniel-wittenberg at uiowa.edu
Thu May 27 14:11:21 UTC 2004

Here's the procedure I've been using to upgrade from RHL to RHEL:

1)  Backup obviously
2)  Pop in RHEL CD 1, and at the boot prompt type:  linux text
upgradeany
3)  Answer all the questions and go ahead and reboot when it finishes
4)  Stick RHEL CD #1 in and mount it
5)  cd /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/
56)  rpm -Uvh comps-3*rpm redhat-release* --force --nodeps
7)  rpm -Uvh elfutils* rhnlib* up2date* pyOpenSSL* python-optik*
rpm-python  (some of these might already be installed)
8)  up2date --register (or however you are registering with RHN)
9)  up2date --install acl attr devlabel lslk netdump pinfo prelink
redhat-lsb schedutils setarch symlinks
10)  rpm -e anacron bdflush ksymoops lrzsz lynx reiserfs-utils sash
11)  up2date --update --force
12)  reboot

I also have a list of RPM's that I think are not of much value but are
installed as part of @base so I manually remove them too.

I've done this quite a few times now and not any problems so far.

Good luck!  (and let me know if you have any good or bad experiences
with this or have better ideas).

Dan