[rhn-users] Newbie

Scott Ryan scottr at staff.intekom.com
Fri Nov 5 09:09:47 UTC 2004

On Wed, 2004-11-03 at 13:35 -0600, Vázquez Rocha Ulises wrote:
> I am really newbie in Linux. I have registered my subscription, but I
> cannot found where to down load some patches, the search engine just
> does not find any patch with the name entered.

Do you have a management / update entitlement? if so you can log into to
rhn.redhat.com and do all your updates from there.

When you run rhn-register on your host, it configures your machine to
'check in' every couple of hours or so. If you log in and want to apply
errata packages, you can do it all from this management website - hell
you can even lock your machine if it detects that it is not locked!

I find this to be the best way esp. if you have / intend to have, a lot
of machines as I do; Because then you can manage groups of machines at
once.

Another good thing about it is you can schedule your updates. Although
you apply them at when you log in, you can tell the management interface
to only apply then at HH:MM .

Hope this helps.