[rhn-users] Issues with Sil 3112 Sata Raid controller driver

Kenny Kenny.chambers at ntlworld.com
Wed Nov 17 20:12:53 UTC 2004

Same issue as prev reported on:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=
<http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&postid=1293945#po
st1293945> &postid=1293945#post1293945

Hello All,

Sorry - newbie here. Need some advise/help with trying to get RH to see my
sata sil 3112 disks?

I have managed to get it installed on a separate IDE disk and it shows the
kernel as Redhat linux Ent AS 2.4.21.4 EL and then after getting the updates
it shows the kernel as 2.4.21.20 EL. During the updates if even picked up
the sata hardware and added a driver but its NOT installed:

/usr/src/linux/2.4.21.20 EL/drivers/scsi/sata
/lib/modules/2.4.21.20 EL/kernel/drivers/sata

But I dunno what to do with em?

Is there anyway to create a driver disk - so that I can do a fresh install
using the free disk space so that I can boot windows as well as RH on my
disks using the Sil 3112 Raid controller?

I have read... and read... and read so many forums - that I dunno what to do
anymore. Surely somebody out there was able to get Sata working on Linux
using a Abit NF7 v2.0 nForce2 board?

So do I need to re-compile the kernel? how do I use it to run a fresh
install and by using the current RHEL AS bootup CD? do I need to add this
Medley or libata stuff?

There are RH linux drivers on the Silicon Image site - but they are for RH
7, 8 and 9.0. Reading the readme's it appears to have instuctions for adding
it to a already-installed-system - but not one from scratch.... - although I
have loaded the .img on to disk loaded the RH 9.0 driver - but I guess its
not for the right system as it still cannot see my hardware. It also
mentions using a bootable GRUB disk - which I now have.. But I am still
confused as to what I need to do regarding a clean fresh install for Windows
& Linux

If I get this working at some point - will it actually see the 2 disks as 1
large one? i.e. 1 x sda? Instead of the hde/hdg?

Can anybody help, and advise what I need to do, its so damn confusing.....

Any help, tips, suggestions - would be moat apprciated. I dont really wanna
give up at such an early stage....

The documentation I have for the Silicon Image driver advises the following
- See link to zipped file -

http://12.24.47.40/display/2/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=10469&r=0.1332361

So. am stupid to think that the RH 9.0 driver may work on RHE AS? Is there
away around this? Reading the above it looks like info for just a Linux
install.. not a dual boot system for windows/linux.

If anybody can talk or help me thru this. Please do,  I'd even call you on
the Telephone to get assistance regardless of the cost!

Cheers for listening,

Kenny.