[rhn-users] RPM.

Todd Warner taw at redhat.com
Fri Oct 8 09:01:50 UTC 2004

On Wed, 6 Oct 2004, Manuela Lo Bosco wrote:

> Hy, I installed for the first time ever Linux Enterprise AS V.3 on
> three servers: (A) an application server, (B) a database server and
> (C) a general purpose server, this one used for connecting to RedHat
> Network and download RPM upgrades.
>
> I successful configured up2date tool on the general purpose server (C)
> and receive updates on my host. I choose to not install automatically
> the RPM packages.
>
> Unfortunately there is a big problem: using rpm -F or rpm -i often
> cause dependency problems forcing me to give more and more rpm command
> by command line. I also built a shell script trying to do the job
> automatically. But the database server (B) is on a DMZ, behind a
> firewall and has installed only a subset of RPMs. The application
> server (A) too and they haven't an internet connection or X for
> security reason. Every server has also a particular profile as for
> type and number of installed RPMs.
>
> So, updating three or more servers (we are planning to expand the
> number of linux server) is a very difficult and time expensive
> process.
>
> I thought that upgrading was more simple and that installer resolved
> every dependency of the package t obe installed.
>
> Could you tell me if there is a tool (Apt I heard) that i can use to
> solve my problem ? Or a reference where to find documentation ?
>
> I would appreciate an helping hand.
>
> Thanks!

This is the scenario that RHN was designed to be a solution for. Apt is
another route for updates. Alas, without internet connectivity, the
hoops that you will have to jump through are going to be always there to
some degree. I.e., if this is a sneaker-net box, then neither RHN nor
Apt are going to help you tremendously other than maybe peripherally.

Now... if that box has intranet (not internet) connectivity, the RHN
Satellite or RHN Proxy solution sounds like they may be right up your
alley.

--
 /odd Warner                                    <taw@{redhat,pobox}.com>