[rhn-users] passwords: UNIX to Linux

Dr. Guenter Schmidt guenter.schmidt at bruker.de
Wed Oct 13 15:11:06 UTC 2004

Charith Perera wrote:

>I'm in the process of moving one of our servers from a machine running Solaris
>to one running RHEL AS. How do I go about transferring all the users'
>passwords onto the linux machine.

If the old passwords are in /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow extract that field and use the old passwords as input to the useradd command:

useradd -u $uid -g $gid -p $passwd -d $home -s $shell -c $gcos  $login

--
Dr. Günter Schmidt                 | Bruker BioSpin GmbH
                                   | NMR Software Department
E-Mail: guenter.schmidt at bruker.de  | Silberstreifen
Phone: +49 721 5161-443 / Fax:-480 | D-76287 Rheinstetten