[rhn-users] ES 3.0 on Acer Travelmate 620 hangs

Espen Ekeroth espen.ekeroth at omxgroup.com
Thu Sep 23 06:14:18 UTC 2004

I have temporary solveld the problem by using the PCMCIA card, but will look
into this problem now. I do however wonder:

Is it possible to install other drivers than the drivers included in the distro?
How?

( I do now how to select drivers for my card, but how to install more drivers?)

Espen

=============
Espen Ekeroth
+ 47 69 21 55 81
+ 47 924 99076
=============

|--------+------------------------>
|        |          Corné Beerse  |
|        |          <cbeerse at lycos|
|        |          .nl>          |
|        |                        |
|        |          22.09.2004    |
|        |          16:05         |
|        |                        |
|--------+------------------------>
  |      To:     Espen Ekeroth/OMT/OMGROUP at OMGROUP, Red Hat Network Users List |
  |       <rhn-users at redhat.com>                                               |
  |      cc:                                                                   |
  |      Subject:     Re: [rhn-users] ES 3.0  on Acer Travelmate 620 hangs     |

Espen Ekeroth wrote:

> Trying to install ES 3.0 update 2 on a Acer Travelmate 620 hangs when
> internal network is enabled.
>
> I have tried to install ES 3 times, it hangs at the same post install
> place each time. Did an install without network and X. It worked. Got X up
> with no problem. Hangs/freezes again when network is to be enabled.
>
> Has anybody seen something like this before?

With other hardware (HP/Compaq proliant) and older versions (RH 7.x) I had to be

carefull which driver to install for the nic. Check your hardware supplier for
which driver to use and optionally supplied drivers.

On the other hand, check the nic you use and if/how it is supported. The
RH-supplied dirver is not always the best.

CBee