[rhn-users] install kernel mod for smc9425tx or Dlink DGE500T

Elena Zagrai ezagrai at stevens.edu
Tue Sep 28 22:42:12 UTC 2004

We are trying to install ethernet cards onto new linux boxes. In the
past, with the DLink DE-500, this has been trivial -- it just worked on
Redhat 8 and 9. Now we are using Fedora Core 2 and Red Hat EE 3 which is
pretty much RedHat 9.

The new cards are not recognized at all. Both DLink and SMC claim to
support a kernel modul called sk98. When we unpack it, the directions
read, essentially: untar it, cd to the directory, and make. That seems
easy enough....

The resulting error message is

skdim.c
In function 'GetCurrentSystemLoad
skdim.c:315 'kstat' undeclared

Both companies, by the way, claim Linux is unsupported, which they do
NOT state in their documentation. Both claim to work in Linux, so this
is at the very least extremely dishonest. I don't expect telephone
support, but to be able to email with a driver problem seems pretty
basic.

The SMC specifically is in the Linux HOWTO claiming to work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.