[rhn-users] Out of Memory Problem

Raj Kumar rajkum2002 at rediffmail.com
Mon Apr 18 21:10:18 UTC 2005

Hi normand,

Thanks for replying to my post!

Yes, I got memory (big) problems!! I agree, the kernel will try to use all the memory to cache user files. However, after sometime the cached value is decreasing and used value increasing... indicating pages used for cache are released to meet the memory requirements.

 free -m
Mem:          1001        892        108          0         28         48
-/+ buffers/cache:        815        185
Swap:         1996          0       1996

-/+ buffers/cache:        815        185
                          ^^^
This value is slowly increasing... that means memory used by application is increasing!

Ref: http://rimuhosting.com/howto/memory.jsp

>>  size-64          4825410 4825410    128 160847 160847    1 : 1008
Someone should free the cache pages... I dont think I have that many pages active when I ran the command. This never decreases! On a similar machine this number increases and decreases.

It would be useful to find who is requesting more objects from this pool. I am suspecting NFS is the culprit since when I write files from an NFS client these values start to increase quickly on the NFS server... may be 64bytes is the xfer size or something. May be those objects are not marked as unused and hence not cleared from cache... I dont know... just guessing...

Thanks again!
Raj